Friday, March 9, 2012

Both Eyes Open

One of the reasons we came to the island of Maui is because they have a sporting clays range that we wanted to visit. We finally made it yesterday after our first attempt was cancelled due to rain. There's been an incredible amount of rain in Hawaii these past few days with lots of flooding on Kauai and Oahu and some on other parts of Maui. We've been very fortunate to get some rain but nothing serious.

Anyway, we made it to Maui Sporting Clays yesterday morning and had a fabulous time. Got an unexpected lesson which totally screwed me up in terms if actually hitting any clays but invaluable in terms of understanding what I have been doing that hasn't been working. As usual, when we are learning something new it feels strange, uncomfortable and things don't seem to work at first. It takes time and lots of practice to get used to another way of doing and of being.

I am very grateful for the realization that it is better to see with both eyes open (I had been closing one of my eyes to shoot which I just learned is not the way to accurate shotgunning) and for a new concept of fluid motion in my shooting. As always this doesn't only apply to shooting now does it? Keeping both eyes open to see what's really going on and moving with what I see instead of trying to anticipate it certainly applies to every other area in life as well. After all, it's all metaphor isn't it?

Here's a picture, albeit a fairly poor quality one, of the crater where the sporting clays range is. The view was awesome.

Today we are relaxing as we prepare to fly back home tomorrow. It's been fabulous and I'm actually feeling ready to go back. So much appreciation for all that Life has to offer.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment