Wednesday, November 30, 2011

About Those Goals

I've tended to shy away from formal goals most of my life. I've dabbled in them many times over the years but never really got into them in a serious way for the most part. I would guess this was mainly due to certain beliefs that lurked at the edge of awareness such as 'this will never work', 'I don't want to experience failure, again', 'it's no use',  'I can't have what I really want' and I'm sure a few other choice tidbits had their say in the mix.
I am also aware that even though I didn't want to have specific goals that I would actually admit to, there have always been 'goals' at play even if I didn't really embrace the fact that I had them. I remember being told I must really be goal oriented many years ago based on what I had achieved. I remember being surprised by the comment and thinking, I don't set goals.

Ok, ok, I surrender! I've always had goals and I still do. I'm just more willing to play with them on the conscious level now.
Here's some of what I have learned and I'm really still learning about this goal setting business:
  • It isn't about the goal, it's about the process.
  • Goals are about focus and direction.
  • Being attached to trying to achieve a particular goal can be a painful distraction.
  • The real purpose of a goal is expansion not achievement.
  • When I play with them as part of the journey instead of beating myself up with them goals can be lots of fun.
  • It is important to consider the bigger picture when working toward any particular goal. 
  • Goals are a great way of uncovering limiting beliefs and unresolved memories.
  • No matter what comes up, it's an opportunity for love and compassion to be experienced and expressed (I'd say that's the bigger picture for me).
The Stuff of Dreams
That being said I wonder what else is possible in this goal setting game?

No comments:

Post a Comment