Thursday, January 13, 2011

Popularity and Perspectives

It's interesting to hold  views that are at times radically different from most of the people around me. I certainly understand most people's points of view on topics like choice and freedom and spirituality because I used to think the way they do (as best one can think the same as anyone else). Having made a few 180's in recent times, and making more as I go along, I find I do not have any desire to convince anyone of my perspective nor do I wish to debate the issues. It's actually irrelevant. Whatever belief anyone holds is just that, a belief, and doesn't really mean a whole lot to me, mine included. As much as I'd like to think my way of seeing is the one I know I am very much in process and still deeply affected by the illusion of self-hood and so I see what I see, I share what I share and let it go. I'm actually having a lot of fun viewing life from this place of resting in the flow and disengaging from what I used to call reality; so much so I was completely wrong about what day it was today and phoned a friend a day early to wish her a Happy Birthday. I also booked a holiday that overlapped with a day I was supposed to be the presenter at an information session I had booked as well. Oops. All is well however, my friend and I had a great laugh and I was able to change the other date without any fuss or muss. It's all quite funny really even though sometimes we aren't dealing with 'funny' stuff.

What I find particularly interesting these days is the way people tend to deal with the unfunny stuff like the Arizona shootings from this past weekend. Some want to draw straight lines of cause and effect and look for someone or something to blame and make all kinds of conjectures about what should have happened or what could have happened and let's make new laws! Some get angry, some get self-righteous, some can't believe this could happen, again. But in the end, it did happen, no one knows all the nuances of why it happened, nor is it likely that new legislation and stricter laws, etc will make a bit of difference. We've been killing each other since the beginning of history and that isn't likely to stop any time soon, indeed, if ever.

So what is it that we get to avoid by getting into all this conjecture and officious 'let's take action so this never happens again' kind of thinking? Could it be that we are running away from those core feelings of helplessness and powerlessness and being out of control that are generally lurking just below the surface of what we are aware of? What would happen if we went there first and made peace with that which we tend to fear the most, our own vulnerability? Hmmm.... In the end that doesn't really matter either. We'll do what we do, react the way we react, feel what we feel or not, create new laws or not and life just keeps going on as it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment