Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Conceptualization Verses Realization

I watched part of a documentary on PBS last night called The Buddha. It was a bit of history as well as touching on the teachings of the Buddha. I find the history of various movements to be quite fascinating really. I often wonder how we got to where we are from where things started. As with all religions, philosophies and movements of various kinds the further from source it gets the more distorted it is. Kind of like our own memories, they are rarely if ever truly accurate because they are coloured with our interpretations and feelings.

One of the things that most attracts me to the Buddha is the teachings on suffering and compassion. My own process has certainly led me to a level of compassion for myself and others that I would not have known otherwise. It was the process of realizing that what I was telling myself about life was not the truth that actually led me to compassion however, it was not a teaching about compassion.

I suspect the reason so many beautiful teachings have been lost and distorted is because people follow the teachings rather than exploring them internally and coming to their own realizations. When we simply take concepts others have perhaps experienced or want to experience and try to adopt them they always fall short, sometimes disastrously so. The gap between what is conceptualized and what is realized is filled with beliefs that are not in alignment with those ideals and that is often how suffering is maintained.

I don't say created because the very thing that leads us to ideals and philosophies usually has to do with some kind of suffering we are already experiencing. I liked what they said in last night's documentary about suffering as well. It isn't what we usually think of as suffering but rather more akin to discontent. It is discontent (suffering) that sends us looking for relief. The question is, does just believing what some else says about a thing bring that sought after relief or does it tend to eventually exacerbate the suffering even if it did bring temporary relief?

The Buddha and I are in agreement about many things but one thing for sure, you have to do your own investigating, you have to see for yourself what is making you unhappy and you have to find your own way through. The teachings of others can point the way but we each have to walk the path. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say be still and know.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment