Monday, July 16, 2012

Multi-Tasking or Presencing?

The ebb and flow of life as it is experienced in the moment is constantly calling me inward, to the peace of presence. It's so easy to get caught up in the business of living instead of being present to what is.

I noticed an uneasiness in the background of awareness over the weekend and realized that I had been very busy with all kinds of great stuff but I had been side stepping my usual practices of just sitting for a few minutes morning and night to just be fully present to inner being, what I call presencing. I had sort of been paying attention but only on the fly so to speak.

Ah yes that insidious habit of multi-tasking.  I spent so many years being so very proud of the ability to multi-task I find it a bit challenging at times not to get into it and of course I succumb on a regular basis. Nothing wrong with that, it just isn't very effective when it comes to being present in the moment and being at peace.

Moving deeply into the uneasiness yesterday the shift allowed peace to permeate the disturbance and today there is once again a sense of joy and appreciation in the moment.

Funny thing is I wouldn't have said I was unhappy yesterday because I was doing something I love doing and I was having a good time, there was just this background noise of something calling me that I had been ignoring. I spent most of my life in that state, except the noise was much louder in the past, and I got really good at ignoring it or distracting myself so I wouldn't have to do anything about it. The only problem with that was that I also rarely felt connected or appreciative or happy. Now that I know the difference, the old ways of ignoring and distracting just aren't very attractive any more.

Namaste

1 comment:

  1. Lately, I've been feeling a deep settling. No need to run here or there... or take a new workshop or fill my life with busyness. There is still some fear that I should be doing something more but there is something greater too: a quiet, peaceful stillness that is bigger than all else.

    ReplyDelete